Friday, February 15, 2008

total freakin idiots

So I've never thought of myself as a political activist or anything but I'm pretty sick of listening to whats going on in the world. As most of you know I bake bread at the Great Harvest here in Logan. Well, lately i've been really sick of all the music on my ipod so I tune in to NPR. From 5 to 7 am I listen to the radio. The news revolves around three things: foreign violence, domestic violence, and fluff (sorry i know the economy isn't fluff but it's not life or death). I hate the fact that I don't know what our goals in the war are besides to tear down a country and build up a democracy. I'm mostly un-educated about it. I also hate the fact that every day I hear of deaths from a suicide bomber somewhere in the Middle East.

Every few weeks we hear about another shooting at a shopping mall or a school. These aren't inner-city shootings either. Utah, Illinois, Ohio, Colorado... the list goes on and on. I'm ready to vote democratic just for gun-control. If our nation weren't full of total freakin idiots we could probably handle the right to bear arms. As it is I think we should ban them all together, or do what the UK does and make it really hard to own one. They also do this thing that if you're sentenced for longer than three years you can't own one... legally. Now obviously if the US applied a piece of legislation like that we would have a huge black market for guns. yah well it would be better to have a guns sold like pot and prescription drugs than like pokemon cards! I'm sure a lot of people have the same thoughts as I do. "Hmm if they don't outlaw guns soon, I think I'll get my concealed weapon permit." My Mom brought up a good point, she said, "If guns were outlawed we would still have shootings but maybe there would only be one a month instead of three." I'm glad that the United States is what it is and that I can go start my own business baking bread and hopefully make a living. I think there are so many wonderful things about this nation but is this "gun freedom" what our forefathers had in mind when they said, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I'm too much of a total freakin idiot to explore all the intricacies of the 2nd Ammendment, but what is freedom to one when it takes the lives of so many others away?

6 comments:

Cayle said...

Do I sense a little hostility here? I agree with you though. I think that our country needs to start taking care of it's self and not try to take care of the world. I think that you should be democratic. ps you should start downloading the podcast "this american life" and listend to it, Sarah turned me on to it, and it's a lot more upbeat than npr can be.

sar sar said...

word.

Natalie said...

Couldn't have said it better- and I also think we should all vote democrat

N8Stowers said...

i hear ya bro.

Anonymous said...

Hey Will, your the man, but you know I have never been one to back away from a good political argument, so here I go.
About the constitution and gun rights. Guns are neither good nor bad (as in they can be used for both purposes), but two things are certain; 1) they exist 2) they are equalizers, as in they put those who have them on an equal playing field. Now if we are to understand the entire constitution and not just the 2nd amendment we understand that its entire purpose is to make all men equal (not that all men will become equal but to at least give them an equal playing field). The constitution was such a radical document because its common purpose was for "liberty and justice for all", to not place government nor trust government above the people ("For the people, by the people"). Our founding fathers understood the roll of arms and specifically guns as equalizing tools. Thus they understood that if they were to make the people equal they must also allow the public the "right to bear arms". Our founding fathers were not idiots, they knew that guns killed people, they knew that guns murdered people, but they also realized that guns existed and that if we were all to be equal they could not enact a law that would prohibit the general public (ie. the people) from freely equalizing themselves.
Now, the argument here is not whether we like or dislike guns. It is not even whether we think guns cause more harm than they cause good. The argument is whether we still trust the "the people" to have the power vested in them to freely place themselves on an equal playing field. If you do not believe they should have this right or power, or you no longer trust the people to have this power than the Constitution is not for you. To claim that the Constitution was written in simpler times and is no longer a valid document is the only valid argument against the right to bear arms. I think people need to realize that if they feel the 2nd amendment is no longer valid they also throw into question all of the equalizing principals contained in the constitution. Just to finish I would say one more time, if you do not trust the people enough to give them the power of equality you do not believe in the principals laid out in the constitution.
Good quote by Benjamin Franklin:
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security"

Wendy P said...

I must say amen to Matt!

Contributors