Sunday, November 20, 2011


OH man. Every time I give myself a blogging break I regret it. Oh wait, I think I give myself a break after every post! I am officially the worst blogger. It's so overwhelming to start a post after it has been 7 months since the last update. I will just give you a quick overview.

Since my last blog post:


Liam turned 4
Liam started preschool (see pictures below)
Liam dressed as 3 different things for Halloween (I'm missing the 3rd costume, a zombie)





Liam started a fire


Liam extinguished a fire



Liam's hair was long


Liams hair was short
Liam is growing taller
Liam learned to ride a 2 wheel bike at 3 yrs old
Liam loves his sister and that love is sometimes overbearing.




Piper is almost a year
Piper gets cuter by the second

(big smile)

(even bigger smile!)
Piper eats
Piper drinks something besides soy formula
Piper army crawls....
Piper claps
Piper screams
Piper loves reading books
Piper whispers and it just melts my heart


Piper loves playing hide a seek
Piper hates going to sleep at night


Piper says "mama" when she is sad




I'm sure there is so much more. But it's too much pressure. I can't keep thinking about it.

Wil ran a 50 k, and then a week later ran a half marathon. He did great in both. I think that he finished 6th overall in the 50k and 1st in his age? (this is a whole post in itself) He did awesome in his half as well. He got his personal record on a half 1hour 20 minutes or something around that. We are so proud of him.

These next pictures I cry just looking at. Liam LOVEs to watch his dad race. And Wil is always gracious enough to slow down a bit and let Liam finish with him. Liam adores his dad- and he has good reason to.

(watch their stride in these pictures, it is so similar!)


(Liam always tries to beat his dad at the finish!)


50k
Its almost depressing to think what I have done in the past 7 months. WHAT HAVE I DONE?! I have tried to raise 2 kids. (I'm taking a parenting class so this is going much better than it was 7 months ago.) ;) In a talk by Elder Lynn Robbins he says, "A sweet and obedient child will enroll a father or mother only in Parenting 101. If you are blessed with a child who tests your patience to the nth degree, you will be enrolled in Parenting 505. Rather than wonder what you might have done wrong in the pre mortal life to be so deserving, you might consider the more challenging child a blessing and opportunity to become more godlike yourself. With which child will your patience, long-suffering, and other Christlike virtues most likely be tested, developed, and refined? Could it be possible that you need this cild as much as this child needs you?" I know I complain about Liam a lot. He really is a good boy. He can challenge my patience every once in awhile, or everyday. Sometimes I feel like I'm enrolled in Parenting 505 for sure. However, I NEED him- I am convinced even more than he needs me.
I keep thinking about the talk by Jean A Stevens from April conference. In it she says, "These precious children of God come to us with believing hearts. They are full of faith and receptive to feelings of the Spirit. They exemplify humility, obedience, and love. They are often the first to love and the first to fogive." There truly is so much we can learn from our children, and I'm trying to embrace each day knowledge that I get.

Lately I've been getting so troubled by the fact that my children are growing right before my very eyes. Don't get me wrong, I'm so very thankful for the healthy bodies that continue to grow as they should, but I often find myself saying- don't forget this moment: when listening to Liam tell me a "true fake story", or secretly watching Liam and Piper connect in a way only siblings can, or watching Liam try to be in every way like his dad (what he eats, says, does).


Tonight I went to check on Liam as he was trying to fall asleep. He said, "mom, why are you looking at me?" "Because I love you and I don't want to forget what you looked like when you were 4 with big sleepy eyes. You're my little guy" I replied. Then he said, "Mom, its ok. When I'm big you can call me your big guy." The problem with that, I thought, is i don't ever want you to be a big guy. I want you to be small forever. With your gigantic smile, your astounding imagination, your unconstrained expression of love.

But with every passing season I find myself saying and thinking these things, so I can only imagine that they will continue and I will find new things to fall in love with at every age. I just never want to forget my 4 year old Liam and 11 month old Piper.

I heard this song long ago, it is by Mindy Gledhill and I just think it fits my thoughts of this moment in my life perfectly. If you want to listen go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4-PDKNu71I

I'm going to write the lyrics with my pictures.

Little boy, when you speak
I cannot help but kiss your cheeks

I love the way you grab my hands

And tell me all about your plans



Rocket high, comets fly
You and I could take a ride


And fly away to Neverland
And give our best to Peter Pan


When you reach for the stars
don't forget who you are
And please don't turn around and grow up way too fast


(1st day of preschool)

See the sand in my grasp
From the first to the last
Every grain becomes a memory of the past


Oh, life's an hourglass
Life's an hourglass

Story's read, prayer is said
Close your eyes sleepyhead

While angels linger in your dreams

And hold you in their feathered wings

Just like you, I was small





Not that long ago at all

I wish you all the happiness
That God gives freely if you ask

8 comments:

Dani said...

Miss those two and you & Wil more than you know. xoxo

PS - please don't go another 7 months!! :)

Karen said...

That was worth waiting 7 months for Lauren. You and Wil are such stellar parents. I can't believe the love in your little family, and you can't believe how much I love you

Kami said...

love the post, the pics, the feelings you shared, the song. love and miss you guys.

trish said...

Loved, loved, loved this post! I loved the insight you gave about raising kids - I needed a reminder!

geeno said...

amen to what my mom said - so worth the wait! and what a fun emotional experience i just had - i love the quirky age and stage updates of what your kids are up to. i was just going through my photos and found one from the reuninion of my kids sitting on pipers play mat with her just stariing at her, gosh my kids love your kids.

i also welled up at those photos of the shadow running stride - how amazing is that?!? like father like son.

thank you for sharing those wonderful quotes and thoughts on parenting - i needed those helpful reminders. i love the way you think and i can't wait to have a few late night, childless chats around christmas!

aren't mindy gledhill songs great?! i spent an hour watching all her videos not too long ago - good stuff, even better when it's illustrated with photos of people i love.

thanks laur - we love you guys!

abby o said...

Lauren I just read this in my hospital bed in labor and bawled through the whole thing. So beautiful.

Keri Cannon said...

They are so stinking cute!! I love this post :) Thanks for sharing!

A and M said...

Totally got emotional from this post. I needed to read those quotes you posted, especially after the couple weeks I've been having with Merrick.
I love you and your wonderful family!

Contributors